Orange’s cathedral was dedicated to Our Lady of Nazareth on the 26th October 1208, in the presence of Guillaume des Baux, Prince of Orange. The original building, which was also used for meetings of the Principality’s general assemblies, would be considerably altered through the centuries.
The different styles employed reflect the history of the Catholic Church in Orange. After being sacked by the Huguenots in 1561, it was restored early in the 17th Century following the original plan, similar to that of Saint Paul Trois Châteaux.
Towards the end of the 18th Century, Orange’s last
bishop, Monseigneur du Tillet, undertook its restoration and
added to its furniture (stalls, main altar, etc). Converted into a
temple to the goddess of Reason during the Revolution, it was later returned to the Church. In the 19th Century, it was decorated with frescos and stained-glass windows, and the eastern porch was reconstructed in the neo-gothic style.